Cottage Garden Brighstone
After a big restoration project the garden area surrounding the cottage
is now ready to be landscaped to complement this very handsome building.
The cottage sits in a pretty rural area surrounded by countryside and
other farm cottages and farm buildings.
The design brief was for the garden to have separate zoned areas including
a large Utility area with shed and a large gravel, swing-in car parking
Other important factors were:
- To be as low maintenance as possible
- To accommodate a large, energetic dog
- A terrace to entertain
- To retain some original plants from the old cottage e.g. the Rosa
'Dorothy Perkins', some of the old fruit trees.
- A play area to include the lower shed as a Play House (storage of
outside toys etc.)
- A country Cottage Garden with a contemporary continental twist, i.e.
Hollyhocks and Olives
- To use the dappled shade within the Garden as an area of contrast
to the sunny, south facing terrace
- To create a long, shadey border along the bottom boundary of the property
to form a pleasing view from the house and terrace and to conceal the
- Rustic seats, features are preferred
- A romantic place i.e. Pergola, Walkway, Arbor incorporating fragrant
- To consider a solution to the problem area in deep shade on the North
side of the building on the boundary fence with neighbours
- The use of natural stone , recycled timbers & sleepers from the
original building to be incorporated into paths, edgings wherever possible
as a link with the house
The car parking area and the garden were enhanced and separated by a
tiered border planting using railway sleepers to create the levels.
Much of the lawn was kept but some focus was provided by a pergola within
the deep borders along the fence line.
A dominant and unattractive conifer hedge was removed allowing plantings
to enhance the hard landscaping at the entrance.